Bargain Bin Entertainment: Top Ten Video Games Under $10
By LAUREN ORSINI & ANDREW HOFFMAN
They say the best things in life are free, but the second best things are definitely the ones you got for a steal. When we stopped by our local Game Stop in Central Park, we were amazed to find some epic games for low, low prices. Here are ten of our favorites:
1. “Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.” $9.99. MGS is known for its amazing storylines, but Snake Eater complements that with incredible gameplay and stunning graphics. Brush up on your CQC while feasting on every animal in the game without putting a dent in your wallet.
2. “Soul Calibur II.” $5.99. This game stands as one of the greatest 3D fighters of all time with precise controls and immense replay value. Additionally, the Gamecube version allows you to play as fan favorite Link from “The Legend of Zelda.”
3. “Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.” $9.99. Grab hold of the Dagger of Time and control time itself in this game. The platforming in this game is exceptional, but the great characters, witty dialogue, and a stunning plot twist is what will really stick with you.
4. “Kameo: Elements of Power.” $9.99. Play as an elven princess shapeshifter on a mission to save her family. From Rare, the maker of classic games Goldeneye and Banjo Kazooie, this platformer is one of the best values to be found on Microsoft’s system.
5. “Polarium. $4.99.” Polarium is one of the few puzzle games that isn’t a Tetris knockoff. This Nintendo DS game emphasizes planning and thoughtfulness in a Zen like atmosphere.
6. “Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter.” $9.99 GRAW combines the first-person shooter genre with deep strategy and group tactics. Widely hailed as one of the best games of 2006, GRAW deserves a place in the library of any Xbox owner’s library.
7. “F-Zero GX.” $7.99. The word that best sums up this futuristic racing game is speed. The blazing fast nature of this game, combined with its tight controls and clever race tracks, will keep you coming back for more, in spite of this game’s unforgiving difficulty.
8. “Viewtiful Joe.” $2.99. This side-scrolling beat-em-up places you in the role of Joe, a movie aficionado who has to rescue his girlfriend from a malevolent movie come to life using his fists, feet, and some clever time manipulation skills. Henshin-a-go-go, baby.
9. “Geist.” $6.99. Play as John Raimi, an elite scientist and member of a counter-terrorist unit… at least until you’re captured by the enemy and your soul is ripped from your body. Shoot, puzzle, and possess your through a military compound to reclaim your body in this clever first person shooter.
10. “Jet Set Radio Future/Sega GT 2002.” $1.99. Jet Set Radio Future is one of the most brilliantly creative action-adventure games of all time. Sega GT is a high quality simulation racing game. This is the best bargain on our list.