Dorm dining: world’s best, no mess grilled cheese
By Beverly Scholnick
This style of preparing grilled cheese takes the simple sandwich to a new level. Frying the bread in butter gives it a sweet, nutty flavor, while the mayonnaise adds a creaminess and tanginess to the cheese that enhances its flavor and texture. A subtle garlic flavor harmonizes with the creamy ingredients to create a rich and savory dish. Finally, the unique assembly technique leaves the unbuttered side of the bread on the outside of the sandwich so that eating it won’t result in greasy hands.
2 slices of bread
2 slices American cheese
1 Tbs butter
2 tsp Mayonnaise
- Melt ½ Tbs butter in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add one slice of bread to the pan and cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan and set aside. Melt the rest of the butter in the pan and add the second slice of bread. Stack the first slice of bread on top of the second, buttered side up. Place cheese slices on top, and cover for 2-3 minutes, until the underside of the bottom slice of bread is golden brown.
- Remove all items from the pan.
- Take the second slice of bread (the one without the cheese) and spread mayonnaise on the toasted side. Sprinkle garlic powder over the mayonnaise.
- Put the two halves of the sandwich together, with the cheese and mayonnaise sides on the inside, and the uncooked sides of the bread on the outside.
- Serve with cream of tomato soup and enjoy!
Number of Servings: 1
Average Price Per Serving: 50¢