Dining on a dime: macaroni and cheese with broccolini
This is the best macaroni and cheese recipe there is. Kraft doesn’t stand a chance against this one. It’s cheesy, rich and surprisingly easy to make. If you don’t like broccolini, which is like a more delicate
broccoli, you can substitute almost any vegetable you like, or even ground beef.
3 cups pasta (I like rotini but you can use any type)
Cheddar cheese 2 cups
2 tbs butter
2 tbs flour
2 1/2 cups milk
2 bunches of broccolini
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add a few pinches of salt.
2. Add the pasta and cook until tender. Then strain and put aside.
3. Melt the butter in a small pot on low heat
4. When it is completely melted, add the flour and whisk with a fork until no lumps remain
5. Cook about 2 minutes
6. Add the milk and stir, then bring back to a boil
7. Once the liquid is boiling, add the cheese and stir until it’s melted, then turn off the heat.
8. Saute broccolini in a pan with a little olive oil for about 10 minutes or until bright green
9. Mix the pasta, cheese sauce, and broccolini together.
10. Spoon into bowls and serve hot.