Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The Blue & Gray Press | August 22, 2019

Scroll to top


Underground to Get Alcohol License


The Underground at Mary Washington is in the final stages of approval for its Retail Alcoholic Beverage Control, Beer and Wine on Premises, License. The Underground expects to have an ABC license by the beginning of the 2010-2011 school year.

For the past seven months the Underground has been operating with its ABC Catering License to supply beer and wine to certain events around campus. With the approval of the ABC License, the Underground will be able to sell beer and wine on a regular basis.

Some students feel that this addition will be good for the university.

“I think it is fine because the Nest already sells alcohol,” junior Aliyah Jameer said. “Perhaps the Underground is a better atmosphere for alcohol sales because there is always entertainment.”

All licenses that Mary Washington holds for alcohol sales are approved by the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.

“The process is taking longer than expected to get the Underground ABC license,” Kori Dean, general manager of UMW Dining Services, said.  “We have met all of the requirements and are waiting for an inspection of the Underground as the final step in the process.”

All alcohol beverages will be available for purchase from 5 p.m. until close, with cash, EagleOne or a credit card. Students will not be able to purchase alcohol with a meal plan or flex dollars.