Dining on a dime: oatmeal apple pie
This is a great, easy pie recipe that always turns out well. The best part is that you won’t have to buy many ingredients since it uses a lot of simple components that you probably already have lying around
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbs water
2 large apples (whatever kind you like)
1 cup buttermilk or whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Cinnamon and sugar to sprinkle on top
1. Mix all crust ingredients in a bowl except for the water, cutting in butter with a knife until crumbly.
2. Add water until slightly moist and press into pie pan.
3. Bake in oven at 350 for 20 minutes.
4. Remove and set aside.
5. Whisk eggs in a bowl until slightly frothy.
6. Whisk in sugar and vanilla.
7. Slowly add buttermilk or milk while whisking.
8. Set aside.
9. Peel and core apples, then cut into small wedges.
10. Arrange apple wedges evenly over pie crust.
11. Pour egg mixture over apples. The liquid will not completely cover apples.
12. Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes or until liquid is set.
13. Remove pie from oven, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and let cool.