By MARIAH YOUNG
Four houses in the College Heights neighborhood will be demolished to create room for new parking, while the Campus Center is built in place of Chandler Hall this summer, as construction continues around the University of Mary Washington.
Three of the four houses set to be demolished are currently owned by the UMW Foundation, whose goal is to “accept, manage, and administer private resources supporting the mission and priorities of the University, and to provide opportunities for students and a margin of institutional excellence unavailable with state funds,” according to the Foundation’s website.
The houses include 213 Thornton St., 1215 Thornton St., 1217 Thornton St. and 1214 Powhatan St., according to Rick Pearce vice president for administration and finance and CFO.
Administration has not made a decision as to who will be able to park in the lot.
Classes previously held in Chandler Hall will be moved to buildings throughout campus while the building remains under construction.
The annex is currently under renovation to make rooms specific to the psychology department, while the business department will move all around campus-including George Washington Hall, according to Pearce and President Rick Hurley.
Renovations should be completed this month, according to Eagle Eye, the faculty newsletter.
Woodard Hall will be a space for the business department, including the washroom and second floor, which will go offline to be renovated this September, while the Eagle’s Nest and post office will remain open, according to Pearce.
The renovation for Woodard is expected to be complete by December 2014, according to Eagle Eye.
Along with the Campus Center and new parking lot, the Convergence Center and Hyatt Hotel are still under construction and set to finish on time.
The Convergence Center is set to open in the fall of 2014 and the hotel should be completed in October or November 2013.