For National Prescription Drug Take Back Day on Oct. 23, UMW Police Lieutenant Brad Sullivan will be under the bell tower from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The UMW Police Department will be collecting expired and unwanted prescription drugs as a part of the nationwide Drug Take Back program. Here are some fast facts about the nationwide program and the drug box on campus.
- The Drug Enforcement Administration disposes of the prescription drugs in an environmentally safe way.
- While the DEA program allows for prescription drugs to be collected twice a year at designated locations, UMW collects prescription drugs at any time of year in the drug box located in Brent Hall.
- The drug box purchase was approved by UMW Police Chief Michael Hall in June of 2018.
- UMW collects over 100 pounds of unused prescription drugs per year.
- Nationally, approximately 900,000 pounds of unused prescription drugs were collected in 2019.