By Beverly Scholnick
This college-kitchen friendly version of a classic confection combines two great American sweets into one irresistible dessert using only five ingredients.
9 Small or Medium Empire Apples (or any other crisp, sweet apple)
1 ½ c Butter (softened)
1 Tbs Water
17.5oz Package Betty Crocker Oatmeal Cookie Mix
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Combine cookie mix with water and one cup of butter (one stick) in a mixing bowl as directed. Do NOT add an egg, as the package instructs.
- Press into an ungreased pie plate, spreading it evenly around the bottom and sides
- Bake at 350° for twenty minutes
- Remove pie crust from oven and allow to cool. The crust will have puffed up in the oven but will become denser as it cools.
- Cut apples into slices 1/8-1/4 inch thick
- Score the skins of the apples by slicing through the skin every ½ inch
- Cut apple slices into pieces, 1-2 inches across
- Melt ½ Tbs butter in a frying pan.
- Add enough apples to cover the bottom of the pan, about one cup. Cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally
- Poor the cooked apples into the pie crust and sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover with a plate to keep the pie warm.
- Repeat steps 4-6 with the rest of the apples
- Cut into slices, serve, and enjoy!
Average Cost Per Serving: $1.50