By Beverly Scholnick
Remember, remember, the fifth of November, the gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot. In honor of the United Kingdom holiday “Bonfire Night”, this week’s recipe is dedicated to V For Vendetta, the hit movie and graphic novel that made the holiday famous in the United States. Just as V prepares this easy breakfast recipe for Eve, so too will you be able to prepare it for your friends.
1 slice of bread
1 Tbs butter
Montreal Seasoning Mix (or black pepper, red pepper, salt, and garlic power)
- With half of the butter, butter both sides of the bread.
- Using a cup that is 3¼ inches in diameter (almost the height of a slice of bread) as a cookie cutter, cut a large circle out of the center of the bread.
- Melt ¼ Tbs butter in a frying pan on Medium heat and place both pieces of the bread in the pan beside each other.
- Fry the center piece of bread until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip. The center piece of bread will usually cook faster than the larger piece. When the reverse side is toasted, remove it from the pan. It is ready to serve.
- Sprinkle seasoning into the hole in the larger piece of bread. Crack the egg into the hole and season if desired. Fry until the white of the egg is cooked almost entirely through, about 5 minutes. The egg and toast will cook together into one solid piece.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan and flip the toast to cook the other side. Turn the heat to Medium High and cook until the bread is toasted on both sides, about 3-5 minutes.
- Plate and serve.
Average Price Per Serving: 50¢